Monday, December 19, 2011

Prayer for Advent Based on John 1:19-28

Lord Jesus Christ, I confess to you that I have not lived my life, as John the Baptist lived his, to give witness to you.  I have sought to be the one who shines.  I have worried about what others thought of me.  I have carefully sculpted my persona.  I have set my goals and I have made my plans.  I have built my life as a carefully constructed house.  I have managed my relationships, and I have drawn people around me who have seen light in me and affirmed my light. [pause].  Lord, I’m exhausted.  I’m tired of trying to shine.  I’m tired of building my kingdom.  I’m tired of making my plans.  I’m tired of pretending to have the answers.  I’m tired of making people think well of me.  As John in the wilderness, help me to take up the easy burden of witnessing to your light, the true light, the light coming in to the world.  May my life bring glory to you.  May others glorify you because I have witnessed to your glory.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment