Wednesday, February 13, 2013

After the Wars

Last night's State of the Union address dealt with many issues that are at the forefront of the American consciousness.  Perhaps the biggest announcement that has gotten the least attention was that the war in Afghanistan would draw to a close by the end of 2014.

Americans have been deeply divided about the Iraq War, perhaps slightly less so about Afghanistan.  We have argued about whether we should go to war, how we should proceed, what we expect to accomplish, and how long we should stay.  However we feel about the role of war and our nation's role in the world, it seems to me that nearly all Americans are war-weary and will be relieved when these wars are finally done with.

It will be over 13 years of non-stop war when it's all through.  I was 25 when it started and I'm 38 now.  I was just young enough that I could have gone to war, though seminary and a young family made me choose not to enlist.  Kids who were toddlers on 9/11/2001 are serving in combat even as I write.

Most of the talk of the cost of war seems to focus on money--budget cuts, the deficit, etc.  There's not much I can do about that.  But I'm more concerned about a cost of war that I'm hearing discussed more and more in private conversations.  That cost is the cost that veterans have paid with the damage that has been done to their souls.

More soldiers are dying from suicide in our Armed Forces than from combat.  Divorce is skyrocketing. PTSD is rampant.  Even healthy vets are struggling to know how to re-assimilate.  

I grew up a child of the Vietnam era generation.  I can remember that society knew that folks in Vietnam had been damaged by that war.  But I don't know that our society did a whole lot about it.  Maybe they just didn't know what to do.  I certainly don't remember churches having a special calling to serve damaged Vietnam vets.

The VA can only do so much.

I really don't know what to do about it.  But I feel that the Church is called to offer hope and healing to a whole generation of beloved, proud, and hurting people.  I just can't believe that the Church can know that so many are hurting so deeply and not respond somehow.  I just don't know how to respond or what we might do.  There must be some churches doing something that's working--I'd love to hear about them.

Any ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment