Monday, April 16, 2012

Liminality

Seminary is great for learning theological jargon. Some of the words give us power to describe importatnt parts of the human experience before God.

One word I've often used since seminary is "liminal." Liminal means "in betwixt and in between." It means not being in one category or exactly in another. Moses was a liminal figure--he was neither fully Hebrew nor fully Egyptian. He lived at the borders between one culture and another. Even his name was both Hebrew and Egyptian. In an often overlooked detail, the Bible tells us that Moses's tent was set up on the edge of the Hebrew camp.

I've often felt me self on the edge of the camp, neither one place nor another. I'm neither a Yankee nor a true Southerner. I grew up in Pentecostalism yet I'm spending my life as a committed and enthusiastic United Methodist. Much of the fruitfulness of ministry comes from liminality, because we speak as both a member of a community and yet as one who comes from outside.

I'm in a time of tremendous liminality. I've learned that I'm about to be the pastor of a new community, Millbrook First UMC. And yet, I'm still going to work everyday and doing ministry at Montgomery First UMC. I've been dreaming for the future of ministry at one place for four years and I've put all my heart and soul into making those dreams a reality. Now my dreams have moved eight miles north to a place I've yet to visit and a people I've yet to meet.

My conversations are all about transition--gratitude for a people who have loved me, believed in me, welcomed and nurtured my children, and compelled me to grow into the person I've become. The grace I'm receiving right now is beyond description. My cup overflows.

And yet, my work at my current church is all about preparing the way for those who will follow me. It's about remembering and expressing gratitude. Much of it will center on looking backwards. I'm grieving the loss of my connection to my clergy and staff colleagues even as we work together each day.

There is a fruitfulness that comes from times like these, and I'm looking forward to seeing what it will be. Part of it will be naming and telling the story of the great things God has done in the life I have shared with the good people I've been blessed to serve. Part of it is found in the foundation that will be laid for future ministry.

I'm an impatient person. Once I know where I will be and what I am doing, I want to get there and do it. I suppose that's part of the reason that when I figured out I wanted to spend the rest of my life with Shawna I married her a month later. Though I'm restless right now, I'm also grateful. I'm grateful for anticipation, and for remembrance. I'm grateful for a people who have loved me and received my love, and I'm grateful for a people who I will love and who will love me.

For my Montgomery friends--I'll be just a few miles away. It will be strange to go from being your pastor to being friends in a different way. So I'm also grateful for this time to appreciate you and enjoy being your pastor for just a little while longer.

12 comments:

  1. I am so sad! I will really miss all my Attwoods, especially on Wednesdays and at Cloverdale. Thank you Nathan for sharing yourself and your family with all of us at FUMC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan, I'm very happy for you because I know this will be a wonderful step for you and your family. But, of course, I'm very sad to lose your creative, generous, tender and fierce spirit. Your Cloverdale services really renewed me. All the best to you and your family! Jeanie Thompson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie! I've rarely been described as "fierce" but I know exactly what you mean and I'm grateful that you recognized it. I'm glad to services have been meaningful to you and I assure you the team will be in place and they will continue to be just as powerful. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Nathan, I just know you will be the best one to fill the vacancy at FUMC Millbrook. Your leadership around fUMC Montgomery will be missed. Hope to bunp into you some time, some where. Let all of us know how things are going for you up there. Might get my Sunday School class to come to Millbrook one Sunday. We did that when Ed Glaze went to Tallassee and when Jeremy P.went to Wetumpka. In the Theatre jargon, "break-a-peg".

    Ron Stabler

    ReplyDelete
  4. that should read, "break-a-leg".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nathan I know I didn't come all the time to Cloverdale, but I have treasured our talks, and all the things you've taught me in the last year. You mean a lot to me and I am excited for you move, but will also miss you greatly. Thanks for being so wonderful- and putting up with me lol. More importantly though, thanks for listening to God's will/voice in your life. You are going to continue to transform lives at your new location, and I hope to be hearing from you in the future. Much love and kindness, Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a great joy to talk about Jesus with you and i've gotten as much from our talks as you have. I appreciate your honesty and your beautiful heart. We will certainly stay in touch!

      Delete
  6. You have blessed me tremendously at FUMC Montgomery, and now it's time for you and your whole family to bless all of Millbrook FUMC. It's a great appointment for you, but of course I'll greatly miss having you around Mont. FUMC. You are a great preacher and teacher and leader, and I'll especially miss you at Joy for Johnny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see a lot of each other--you know I believe in connectional ministry and engaging a congregation with the CRC! So much of what I have been given credit for would never have happened without you. I mean it about looking into a Joy for Johnny satellite in Millbrook!

      Delete
  7. Nathan -

    That is a great word - liminal. I know how you feel...but in a different context. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nathan,

    I'm happy for you and your family and in a very selfish way--sad for me and the other members of FUMC. You have made a difference in my life. You have always had time to listen and to pray with me and for me and that I shall never forget. You have a tender spirit and at the same time, a warrior's spirit. The light of Christ shines forth from you and His generous love spills forth from your heart to the hearts of others. I know I will see you and talk with you again. Millbrook is just up the road. You will be a wonderful Senior Pastor. Also, your kindness and willingness to work with my ballroom dance club has been truly a blessing. YOU WILL BE MISSED!!!!

    ReplyDelete