Saturday, March 3, 2012

Book Review of Quiet by Susan Cain

Susan Cain's research on introversion is incredibly expansive. She worked on this book for more than five years and gathered to fruits of scores of scientific studies on personality. Many of them demonstrate that introversion is a matter of the way brains process stimuli, that introverts become overwhelmed and tired because they are more sensitive to stimuli, especially in social situations. Introverts therefore find a nice balance of stimulation in focused settings such as reading, working alone, or connecting to one or few others at a time. The science is worthy of psychologists but written in a way that a layperson like myself could get a basic idea of the material.

The gift of the book, however, is its nuanced understanding of culture and the dynamics of introversion. Cain doesn't believe that introversion is superior or inferior to extroversion. She argues that both personality types are necessary for a balanced and rich world. Her concern is that American culture is so oriented toward extroversion that the gifts of introverts are often suppressed, and many introverts live their lives exhausted because they have to pretend to be extroverted.

Cain demonstrates how introverts and extroverts may embrace each others' gifts in relational dynamics, the workplace, and many other settings. She argues that the financial meltdown of 2008 was partly due to a culture of extroversion that always rewarded risk and silenced the voices of those who tended to be more cautious or quiet. She demonstrates how academia and business have a lot to learn from cultures that value introversion, such as Japan and Korea.

I am naturally introverted but have an extroverted profession (clergy at a large church). I'm also married to a very strong extrovert. Cain's book helped me to overcome being frustrated by so much that feels to me to be a limitation. I don't work a room well, but I do connect closely with a few people at a time. I don't do well with an open door and I'm exhausted by constant meetings. There's nothing wrong with closing my door to get some things done. I like taking a day off to read, write, and have no noise around. I'm not crazy or misanthropic. I have to live in an extroverted world. But that world needs much that I have to offer. And I can only offer it by being who I am. So, I found this book to be affirming, practical, and a great grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment